Recipe by Dominic Cann
Traditional Carbonara is done with Pancetta but I find smoked lardons are a good replacement and much easier to get.
The quantities can easily be edited to your preferences but these are what suit me best!
- 150g Smoked Lardons
- 140g Spaghetti
- 4 Eggs
- 70g Parmesan
- 4 tble spoons of Pasta water
- 1 sprig of Parsley
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Splash of oil (Olive oil is best)
- Take the eggs and separate so you’re left with the yolks in a bowl. Add the Parmesan and season with pepper (I found 4 twists a good starting point). Mix till a thick milkshake consistency and set aside.
- Cook Spaghetti in pan of boiling salted water till nearly cooked.
- While the Spaghetti is cooking add the oil to a hot pan and cook the Smoked lardons until golden and crisp.
- Take the smoked lardons off the heat. Add the Spaghetti and 4 tble spoons of the pasta water.
- Once cooled slightly add the Egg mixture and mix well.
- Add back onto a low heat for 5 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved (Smooth and glossy). If needed add more pasta water and reduce further.
- Season to taste with the Salt and Pepper.
- Serve immediately with a leaf of Parsley to top.
© 2023 Copyright Cox Butchers of Crediton